Saturday, December 13, 2008

Pantry Tom Yum Soup

I know, soup is a strange one to be doing at the onset of summer. As I have recently (10 days ago) had gastric banding I am now at that stage where I can move from banana smoothies to pureed and slippy-down easy type foods. I am sure I now have 10 varieties of cup a soup in the pantry in the search of something with some flavour. This morning out in the back yard I spied our lemongrass and I knew then what I was having for lunch!

Everything apart from the tin of prawns came from the pantry so this isn't a truly authentic Tom Yum but a pantry Tom Yum suitable for someone with diminished capacity (for food that is)

Alli's pantry Tom Yum soup


Ingredients:
  • 1 tin of prawns
  • 1 packet of two minute noodles (discard the flavourings)
  • lemongrass
  • 4 mushrooms (I had swiss browns)
  • garlic
  • chilli, fresh or dried
  • 1 lime
  • 2 spring onions
  • palm sugar
  • fish sauce (2 tblsp)
  • lime and chilli seasoning
  • chicken stock or booster


Method:

Boil some water and cook the two minute noodles, I broke them up into very small pieces.

In a pot sauté the mushies, I sliced these thinly then turned them and sliced them again, the garlic, chilli and lemon grass, add 500mls of water or stock (add your stock powder here), the fish sauce and palm sugar and simmer for 5 minutes.

Drain and chop the prawns (if you are operating on diminished capacity feel free to leave them whole!), juice the lime and finally chop the spring onion


Taste your broth, should be nice and flavoursome and very lemony, season to your taste and turn the temperature right down. Throw in the prawns and noodles and finish it with the spring onions and lime juice and serve!


Traditionally this soup have kafir lime leaves and coriander, I'm not big on coriander so I leave it out on purpose. It doesn't have noodles either but I like to make it as meal and the two minute noodles are going down ok right now.

No comments: